Sale To City Commercial Usage And Decline
In February 1966, the federal government announced that the Brooklyn Navy Yard was eligible for around $10 million in aid to help convert the yard into an industrial park. The state’s bipartisan congressional delegation began negotiations with the federal government to receive this aid. Soon afterward, the city announced plans to purchase the yard and convert it into an industrial complex, despite challenges from several federal agencies who also wanted to use parts of the yard. In July 1966, the city moved to purchase the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
The Johnson administration initially refused to sell the yard to the City of New York. The administration wanted to sell the yard at $55 million, while the city wanted a lower price. In May 1967, the federal government and city agreed on a sale price of $24 million. The Nixon administration, which took office in January 1969, was more amenable to selling the Brooklyn Navy Yard to the city, and offered to sell the yard at more than $1 million below the previously agreed sale price. The next month, ownership of the yard was transferred to the city. Final congressional agreement for the sale was given in November 1969, and the next month, the city received a formal contract to purchase the yard for $22.5 million. The city government made its first down payment for the property in June 1970.
1990s and 2000s
Announcing Russ & Daughters In Brooklyn
The Russ & Daughters Appetizing Factory is open! Featuring our bakery, which is on view for all to see, an appetizing shop where you can get your favorite classic bagels & lox or smoked fish by the pound, and our traditional baked goods right out of the oven, our expanded nationwide shipping hub, new kitchens, and an event space.
Since 1914, the Lower East Side has been the historic and spiritual home and grounding nexus of Russ & Daughters. In 2014, on the eve of our 100th anniversary, we opened Russ & Daughters Cafe, just around the corner, to feed literally and figuratively the desire to have our food sitting down in our space. With the addition of Russ & Daughters at the Jewish Museum in 2016, we extended our base from the Lower East Side to the Upper East Side.
Today, we are thrilled to announce that Russ & Daughters is now also part of the Brooklyn community with the opening of Russ & Daughters Brooklyn. Over the past two years we have designed and built out a 18,000 square foot base of operations, which includes our bakery, nationwide shipping facility, kitchens, a beautiful appetizing store, and private events space. We have poured ourselves into this project to ensure that Russ & Daughters has the ability to thrive while staying in New York City for generations to come. We think Joel Russ, our great-grandfather and founder, and his daughters, would be proud. We hope that you will be too.
Niki Russ Federman & Josh Russ Tupper
Yep You Heard Right Scan & Go Boarding
Let’s all go paperless with the NYC Ferry Mobile app!
NYC Ferry operated by Hornblower, is the newest way for New Yorkers and visitors to âWork Live and Playâ. The ferry service connects the New York boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx to provide critical transportation links for areas currently underserved by transit and connect them to job centers, tech hubs and schools in and around New York City.
Also Check: What To Do In New York In February
Brooklyn Navy Yard Building 77
Built in the run-up to World War II, Building 77 is now in the midst of a comprehensive renovation. This one million sq. ft., 18-story building includes four modernized 16,000 lb. freight elevators, eight modernized passenger elevators, and a new building-wide condenser water system served by 925-ton cooling towers. In addition, the structure is also pending LEED Silver Certification and is on the National Register of Historical Places Scope of work entailed a full gut, including exterior façade between columns from floors 3 through 16, new window wall system with exterior insulated panels, new electrical infrastructure , modernization of 8 existing elevators and 4 new passenger elevators, new mechanical, plumbing and fire protection infrastructure upgrade, restoration of the existing façade, core build-out.
Mayor De Blasio Opens One Of Largest Manufacturing Spaces In Decades Building 77 In Brooklyn Navy Yard
$185 million transformation of World War II-era storage facility will be home to 3,000 jobs
NEW YORKMayor Bill de Blasio today celebrated the opening of the Brooklyn Navy Yards Building 77, a one-million-square-foot, state-of-the-art manufacturing building and the largest on the 300-acre industrial campus.
The $185 million renovation of the World War II-era storage facility is a milestone for the growth of manufacturing in New York City and the de Blasio administrations push to build 100,000 good-paying jobs across a range of industries. Located within the City-owned Brooklyn Navy Yard at the corner of Vanderbilt and Flushing Avenues, the 16-story building will be home to more than 3,000 jobs.
Building 77 is the centerpiece of a billion-dollar investment currently underway at the Yard to add over two million square feet of space and 10,000 good-paying jobs by 2020.
As a major driver of quality middle-class jobs, investing in and expanding manufacturing space is key to growing and diversifying our economy and boosting wages. As we re-open this historic building we re-imagine New Yorks future,Mayor Bill de Blasio said.
Long a symbol of Americas industrial might, the Brooklyn Navy Yard is among the countrys leading urban manufacturing centers, with some 400 companies currently employing more than 7,000 New Yorkers. In the next three years, that number is expected to more than double to 17,000 accessible middle-class jobs.
Images of Building 77 can be found here.
Recommended Reading: What Is There To Do In Cooperstown New York
Opening Of Building 77 Brings Manufacturing Jobs To Brooklyn Navy Yard
BROOKLYN NAVY YARD Today, Mayor De Blasio opened the Navy Yards Building 77, a major new manufacturing site in Brooklyn, which promises a rebirth of manufacturingand jobs.
Building 77 is the largest on the 300-acre industrial campus, with one million square feet of manufacturing space. The 16-story building was renovated from its origins as a WWII-era storage facility for $185 million.
Hoping to bring in 3,000 new jobs, the opening of Building 77 is a major part of a billion-dollar investment in the city-owned Navy Yard, aiming for two million square feet of space and 10,000 jobs by 2020.
As a major driver of quality middle-class jobs, investing in and expanding manufacturing space is key to growing and diversifying our economy and boosting wages, said Mayor De Blasio, As we re-open this historic building we re-imagine New Yorks future.
The newly renovated buildingwhich added 50,000 square feet of windows in its upgradewill include a Food Manufacturing Hub as public gateway to the yard and a gathering point for the businesses and employees. New York standby Russ & Daughters will lease 15,000 square feet of food-making and bring a bagels and lox takeout counter to the site.
A New Community Of Entrepreneurs
We created tools to increase recruitment of new entrepreneurs. The leasing presentation championed the unique stories of existing tenants, the kinds of companies we wanted to recruit. Our broker briefs encouraged them to filter clients based on their ethics as well as their finances. This allowed us to recruit tenants from new industries from fashion to food. This building project led to CO OP leading the rebrand for the whole of Brooklyn Navy Yard
Solving the brand challenge meant identifying common ground between the Yard, its existing clients and the real estate brokers.We created a radical new strategy: Rather than just promoting the space, we turned leasing into tenant recruitment. Rather than selling space, we asked potential tenants to join the Yard in fulfilling its mission. Our platform challenged tenants to be part of something greater.
Read Also: Where To Buy Diamonds In New York
Creating A Manifestoto Unite
Solving the brand challenge meant identifying common ground between the Yard, its existing clients and the real estate brokers. We created a radical new strategy: rather than just promoting the space, we turned leasing into tenant recruitment. Rather than selling space, we asked potential tenants to join the Yard in fulfilling its mission. Our platform challenged tenants to be part of something greater.
Development And Early Years
The Jacksons put the land up for sale in 1800, and the federal government soon learned about the sale. On February 7, 1801, federal authorities purchased the old docks and 40 acres of land from John Jackson for $40,000 through an intermediary, Francis Childs. Childs sold the site to the federal government 16 days later. The purchase was part of outgoing U.S. president John Adams‘s plans to establish a series of naval yards in the United States. This particular site was chosen because it was thought that the plot’s location near Lower Manhattan and New York Harbor would be ideal for placing military defenses however, this never came to fruition.
The first ship of the line built at Brooklyn Navy Yard was USS Ohio, a wooden ship designed by Henry Eckford. Her keel was laid in 1817, and she was launched on May 30, 1820. The yard’s first receiving ship, a type of ship used to house new recruits for the Navy, was Robert Fulton‘s steam frigate, USS Fulton. Fulton was initially called Demologos and was designed as a floating battery to protect the New York Harbor. However, the steamship was deemed inadequate for that purpose, and when Fulton died in 1815, the vessel was rechristened Fulton.Fulton then served as a receiving ship, moored off the shoreline of the Navy Yard until she was destroyed in an explosion on June 4, 1829.
Early civilian employees
Creation of street grid
Recommended Reading: Is Birth Control Free In New York
Brooklyn Navy Yard Center
The original Building 92, built in 1857 and designed by Thomas Ustick Walter, is the former U.S. Marine Commandant’s quarters. The house has a floor area of 9,500-square-foot and is three stories high with a brick facade, a hip roof, and three window bays on each side. Building 92 is the only remnant of the 3.5-acre U.S. Marine Barrack Grounds along Flushing Avenue. The grounds was built on land acquired in 1848 and included marine officers’ quarters, a barracks , a gate house, and a central parade ground. All of these buildings were constructed in the Greek Revival style. Building 92 used to have a nearly identical counterpart, Building 93, which was demolished in 1941 to make way for a warehouse.
The center contains a 24,500-square-foot annex with a laser-cut metal facade. The annex is connected to the original house via a 3-story lobby. The lobby includes a 22,500-pound steel anchor from the amphibious assault ship Austin .