More Steak Recipes To Fall In Love With
Steak is a meal that can be cooked on a Tuesday night for no other reason then you want it. It can also turn a special occasion or holiday into something special. I love how versatile steak is, it can be used in so many dishes and in so many ways. For some of the best ways to eat steak, try one of these.
How To Grill The Perfect New York Strip Steak
This post is sponsored by Omaha Steaks. Sponsored posts, along with affiliate links, are what enable bloggers like me to maintain and operate sites that are free to the public. That said, I only work with products and brands that I personally use and would feel proud to give as a gift.
The New York strip steak is probably the easiest of the more popular cuts to grill. Why? For a few reasons. First, its pretty uniform in shape, unlike a skirt steak for example. Its nearly impossible to cook a skirt steak to a uniform doneness because of the shape and inconsistent thickness of the cut.
Second, the strip steak isnt typically cut too thick, like a filet mignon for example. The thickness of the filet mignon makes it difficult to cook evenly throughout unless youre using some of the more advanced cooking techniques.
Finally, the strip steak doesnt consist of more than one muscle like for instance, the ribeye. The ribeye cap cooks much faster than the eye of the ribeye, so its challenging to get a consistent doneness on that cut as well.
The multi-flip technique is as simple as it sounds. We are simply flipping the steak often and continually placing it on a different spot on the grill grate. This technique, which is great for cuts less than 1.5 thick, will result in even doneness from edge to edge of the steak. Its also great when youre applying a marinade or sauce to a steak like this bourbon molasses steak.
How Can You Make Tough Meat Tender
The following recipes offer many tips and tricks for cooking the perfect New York strip, but the recommendations below are general rules for getting a more tender steak.
- Gently massage the meat with your fingers to break down the muscle fibers before seasoning and cooking
- Always salt the steak which also helps break down the muscle fibers
- Bring the steak to room temperature so that it cooks evenly
- After cooking, let steaks rest a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute for more juicy and tender beef.
You May Like: How To Pay A Ticket Online New York
Cooking Thicker Steaks On The Grill
If you have steaks that are thicker than 1 ½ inches, then you want to be careful not to let the grill heat get too high, or you will risk getting the outside of the meat too charred before the inside is cooked enough. You can also flip these steaks a total of three times as you cook them, turning the steak a quarter turn with every flip. This will result in those tempting cross-hatched grill marks.
How To Cook New York Steak On The Stove To Oven
No grill, no problem! For the pan-sear to oven method, make sure your butter is at room temperature so it melts easily. Heres how to cook a Strip Steak perfectly indoors:
Read Also: Delete New York Times Account
Can I Meal Prep Strip Steak
Yes! Strip Steak makes fantastic meal prep or leftovers if not initially overcooked. If you are cooking steak specifically to reheat later then consider cooking it slightly less than your desired doneness because it will cook a little more when reheated. See a couple sections below for all sorts of ways to leftover steak.
Ny Strip Steak Recipe
New York Strip may be called different things, depending on where you have having your steak discussion. You might see it labeled Kansas City Strip, Omaha Strip, Club Steak, and Top Loin Steak.
Strip steaks are boneless center loin steaks, with a pleasantly chewy texture and a lot of beefy flavor. They usually come between 1 and ½ inches thick, and if you can buy them freshly sliced at a butcher counter thats the optimal way to go.
Also Check: Where Is The Wax Museum In New York
How To Cook Strip Steak
The strip steak is a Kansas City original, and that’s where it gained its name: The Kansas City Strip Steak. Others borrowed the idea and call it New York Strip Steak or NY Strip. All are the same cut, and are prized for a rich, hearty flavor. The best way to cook strip steak is on the grill. But no matter which method you choose, our cooking instructions and video will deliver the tender and juicy steak you crave. Use a meat thermometer and you can be sure your steaks are cooked to perfection!
The Thickness Required For New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
The recipe of New York Strip Steak is quite easy but the most important part is to make the right cut. Too much thickness can ruin the taste of this dish. Though 1-inch thickness is regarded as perfect, yet for quick-cooking, ½ inch thickness seems to be quite perfect. The thicker it will be, the more time you will need to cook it.
You May Like: How To Submit Poetry To New York Times Magazine
Strip Steak Recipe Variations
One you have the technique down for cooking New York Strip Steaks, you can go rogue and create all sorts of variations. Here are a few to try:
- Use garlic butter. Swap the harissa butter for 3 tablespoons room temperature butter and 3 smashed garlic cloves. Add them when the recipe calls for harissa butter.
- Use herb compound butter. Swap the harissa butter for a simple compound butter made with butter, 1 tablespoon herbs such as any combo of chives, parsley, thyme, oregano etc., 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard.
- Add dipping sauce. Instead of the harissa butter, pair the steak with barbecue sauce, horseradish sauce, Béarnaise sauce, mushroom sauce, peppercorn sauce, red wine sauce, balsamic reduction, mustard sauce, blue cheese sauce, chimichurri, salsa verde and of course, good old steak sauce.
- Use different seasoning. I am obsessed with this spice rub, but you can also experiment with different seasonings like the one I use in mysirloin steak, barbecue brisket and ribs recipe, or Fajita seasonings, or Asian inspired seasonings such as Chinese 5 Spice, ginger and garlic.
- Use different types of wood. If you have a charcoal grill, you can add different kinds of wood to the fire to contribute smokiness and enhance the overall flavor of the grilled steak.
Best Ever New York Strip Steak Recipes
My content may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. Among other programs, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions remain my own.
Looking for a good way to cook a New York strip steak? We have all the answers in this collection of the 20 BEST EVER New York Strip Steak Recipes. Learn all the secrets to cooking the perfect New York strip on the grill, on the stove, in the oven, and even in the air fryer!
No matter your preferred cooking method, the steak recipes in this list will walk you through every possible chefs trick for seasoning steaks, tell you how many minutes per side to cook NY strips to get to the desired temperature, and so much more.
Read Also: Seattle Promise Eligibility
How Can I Make My Steak Juicy And Soft
8 easy ways to tenderize meat Offer your meat physically. For hard cuts like steak, a meat hammer can be a surprisingly effective way to break down the hard muscle fibers. Use a marinade. Do not forget the salt. Let it come to room temperature. Boil slowly. Achieve the correct internal temperature. Rest the meat. Cut against the grain.
What Is Better Steak Or New York Strip
The main difference between a rib and a NY strip is that the rib has more internal marbling or fat. The New York Strip has a thick strip of fat that runs down one side that you cant really eat. Ribeye is an excellent choice if you are looking for a tender steak, with a lot of flavor and a buttery, smooth texture.
You May Like: Pay Tickets Online New York
My Favorite Quick Pan Sauce For Steak
Whenever you cook steak on the stove you have the opportunity to make a quick, easy, and insanely delicious pan sauce. There are so many variations on this, but the basics are the same
- After removing the steak from the pan assess the amount of juices and fat remaining. If it is minimal, melt a few pats of butter into it. Add minced garlic if there isnt any in the pan already and saute minute.
- You now want to add some sort of liquid to the pan to form the base for your sauce, this can be wine stock, or even a splash of water. Stir to dissolve any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, this is your flavor.
- Season with fresh or dried herbs if you like, I love to add fresh rosemary.
- Let the liquid reduce a little bit, depending on how much you added this will just take a minute or two. If there are any juices from the plate where the steak has been resting, add them now.
- Spoon over the steak as you serve it.
Note: dont expect a huge amount of saucepan sauces are meant to be drizzled judiciously over your meat. Expect a thin, highly reduced sauce that will give up a punch of flavor as you serve.
Of course if youre feeling up to it you can always make an incredible chimichurri sauce for your steak
The Absolute Best Way To Cook A New York Strip Steak
Dont you love it when the best way is the easy way?
- Strip steak is known to be a great grilling steak, but I feel that the best way to cook it is on the stove top, in a cast iron skillet
- Why a cast iron skillet? Cast iron can get screaming hot so youll get a good sear on your steak. After that it cooks nice and evenly, without hot spots.
- You can better control the heat on your stove than on a grill, so thats why I prefer this method. And youre not tied to making this great steak during grilling season, which is key!
Don’t Miss: Facts About Kate Spade
The Speciality Of New York Strip Steak Oven Recipe
The specialty itself lies in the cut of the beef. Its a cut from a specific area of cow that is below the backbone. Thats why New York Strip Steaks are so tender, juicy, bean and boneless.
Also, a roasted steak is full of protein, fat, iron, zinc and overall, a good amount of Calories. When it cooks at home with fresh ingredients, it becomes simply incomparable.
The New York Strip Steak
The New York Strip steak gets its name from the first fine dining restaurant in New York. In 1937 Delmonicos opened and served the short loin cut of meat. There are differing stories as to whether the Delmonico steak was a strip steak.
Today when you order the delmonico steak at Delmonico in New York City, you most likely will get a rib eye steak.
Also Check: Ny Pay Tickets Online
How Many Times Do You Flip A Steak On The Grill
Do not flip the steak more than once.
If you flip the steak more than once, that means that the grill has something wrong in it or you did not properly prepare it so it does not have the finish you want.
See, you only touch the steak three times, once when you put it on the grill, the second time is when you flip the steak, and the third and last time is when you get it out of the grill when done with cooking.
Flipping the steak frequently will disrupt the cooking process as you let the heat get out of the meat.
That means that it will take more time for the steak to cook if you flip it too often.
How Long Will Strip Steak Last
You can keep an uncooked strip steak wrapped in its original packaging in the fridge for 4 or 5 days if youve purchased it from a place with high turnover and fresh meat . If you plan to freeze the steaks, remove them from their packaging the day you buy them, then wrap them well in plastic wrap, slide the wrapped steaks into freezer proof zipper top bags, press out any excess air, then seal and freeze for up to 9 months. Make sure to label the package with the name and date.
Leftover cooked steak can be eaten within 4 days, as long as it was cooked when it was quite fresh.
You May Like: How To Submit Poetry To New York Times Magazine
Testing Steaks For Doneness Using The Touch Method
There are plenty of versions of this is it done? test available, and I like the way William Rice describes it in The Steak Lovers Cookbook. Rice says:
It will take some practice to turn the following ritual into a practical skill, but soon the touch-system will be your number-one guide to judging doneness.
Is New York Strip Steak Healthy
New York Strip Steak is a leaner cut of beef with a high amount of protein, amino acids, iron, and zinc. Here are some health benefits of steak:
- Protein: steak is a powerful source of protein to fuel your body. It is excellent for helping to build muscle and for maintaining muscle mass. Even fit individuals can suffer muscle atrophy if they do not consume enough protein which contains amino acids . Protein can also help repair muscles from wear and tear and to relieve muscle aches.
- Amino acids: steak also contains the dietary amino acid called beta-alanine, which helps form a dipeptide called carnosine, which is crucial to support physical activity. Healthy levels of carnosine reduce fatigue and improves muscle performance, endurance and precision during physical activity.
- Iron: steak contains high levels of iron which is absorbed more quickly than iron found in supplements and even some vegetables. Iron is needed to carry oxygen to from the lungs to all parts of the body. Your body also needs iron to make some hormones and keep your hair, skin and nails healthy. If you do not have enough iron, you wont have healthy oxygen circulation, which will cause fatigue and grogginess.
- Zinc: A serving of beef contains 4.8 mg of zinc, which is 44% of the Daily Value. Zinc is vital for a healthy immune system, correctly synthesizing DNA, and healing wounds.
Don’t Miss: How To Submit Poetry To New York Times Magazine
New York Strip Steak Ingredients
This New York Steak recipe is restaurant quality but in the comforts of your own home, and at a fraction of the cost. This steak will save you time and money by making it at home. Eat it in your pajamas surrounded by family or make a romantic dinner for two. However you want to eat it, just make it! You wont regret it!
- New York Steak: It is best to let your steak sit on the countertop at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the steaks ahead of time.
- Olive Oil: Warm the skillet with the oil before cooking.
- Butter: This helps keep the steak moist and tender as it is cooking.
- Garlic Cloves: Adding the garlic cloves brings more intense flavor.
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme Sprigs: Perfect for adding at the end overtop the steak.
Do You Need To Tenderize New York Strip
Ribeyes rarely need tenderizing but NY strip steaks and sirloins almost always do. Rinse and pat dry the steak then literally cover the steak with salt till the meat is barely visable on both sides. Place on a plate and let stand in the refigerator for 1 1/2 hours. You will see the water leach to the surface.
Don’t Miss: How To Win The New York Lottery