Hunting Or Trapping Eligibility
In addition to showing identification, an applicant must show proof of proper hunting or trapping eligibility in order to obtain a hunting or trapping license. You will need to show proof of hunting / trapping eligibility with any previous license from any state or country from any previous year or a hunter training certificate. There is no eligibility requirement for those obtaining a fishing license.
The state also has requirements if an applicant is 17 year old or younger, please contact the Clerk’s Office for details.
Heres A Table Of The Cost Of A Fishing License In New York
TYPE OF LICENSE RESIDENT NON-RESIDENT
1-day fishing license $5 $10
7-day fishing license $12 $28
Annual fishing license $25 $50
Annual fishing license for seniors $5 N/A
Take note that aside from senior citizens, blind residents and disabled veterans in New York are also eligible to apply for a discounted fishing license.
Do you take your angling seriously and wish to spare yourself of having to purchase a fishing license every year or each time you are about to go fishing? Then youll be more than happy to know that its also very much possible for you to purchase a lifetime New York fishing license yup, for as long as youre breathing, you can fish at any of the states waters and catch any permitted fish of your liking!
However, to be able to purchase this lifetime fishing license valid statewide you must have been living in New York for not less than 12 months. Whats more, you can purchase this type of fishing license for your child as a wonderful gift that can be enjoyed for the rest of his or her life even if your child is as young as 1 year old!
Purchase Your Hunting License/privilege/permit
- Online or **IMPORTANT: When making an online/phone purchase, you must wait 14 business days to receive your license/tags by mail before going hunting. To get licenses/tags instantly, visit a license issuing agent location.
NOTE: Transactions that cannot be made via the links above: Permits for hunters with disability, the Harvest Information Program, Migratory Duck Stamp, and some reduced fee/free licenses require a separate application system or process. Please follow the links provided on this page for details on how to apply to these permits, stamps or licenses.
Recommended Reading: Pay Ny Tickets Online
Where Can I Get A New York New York Hunting/fishing License
A New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License can only be obtained through an authorized government agency. Depending on the type of business, where you’re doing business and other specific regulations that may apply, there may be multiple government agencies that you must contact in order to get a New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License.
Unfortunately trying to figure out where you can get a New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License can get complicated and time intensive. Without help from Business Licenses, LLC, it can be challenging to even understand all the steps to getting your New York, New York hunting/fishing license.
Rather than having to get in contact with multiple government entities, we provide you with everything you need to know for all your hunting/fishing license requirements. We also offer professional help, where our experts can complete your New York, New York hunting/fishing license paperwork and submit them on your behalf.
Licensesuite: Everything You Need To Make It Easy To Get A New York New York Hunting/fishing License
Using LicenseSuite is the fastest way to get your New York, New York hunting/fishing license. Without LicenseSuite, you’ll likely have to spend hours researching industry specific requirements and applicable governmental requirements from various agencies.
There is a better way to meet all your legal obligations and get a New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License. At LicenseSuite, simply enter your City, State, and industry and click ‘Get Your Licenses.’ From there, we’ll walk you through your specific requirements. You’ll then get one report with details on each specific hunting/fishing license requirement that you’ll need to fulfill. We also offer services where we can handle all the paperwork for you, making obtaining a New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License quick and easy.
Recommended Reading: Pay New York Speeding Tickets Online
What Do I Need To Bring To The Ny State Dmv Office To Show As Proof Of My Lifetime Sporting/recreational License Privilege Or Certification
You do not need to visit a NY State DMV with your proofs. Lifetime Sporting License holders can use the online Adventure License site to request that DMV add an adventure icon to their NY State photo document. If you have completed a Boating Safety course, DMV will automatically add the Boating Safety icon to your photo document for free the next time you renew the photo document. You do not need to present your Boating Safety Certificate at a DMV office. If you want to visit the DMV to request adventure icons on your DMV photo document, bring the following:
- The original sporting license, privilege, or certification document that Parks or DEC issued to you, and
- A completed Application for Permit, Driver License, or Non-Driver ID Card .
New Yorks Finger Lakes Fishing Licenses
For information on NY freshwater fishing licenses including 1-day, 7-day and regular Resident, Non-Resident, and Lifetime licenses, visit: .
Get your fishing license by calling 1-866-933-2257 or to purchase your license or permit online, visit the .
Read Also: Average Cost Of Funeral In Nyc
Reciprocal Agreements With Other States
Fishing in waters that border other states can be confusing at times. Luckily, Pennsylvania has reached an agreement with many of its neighbors, allowing you to fish in these waters with your PA license:
- : Along the Conowingo and Youghiogheny Rivers, if fishing from a boat.
- New Jersey: On the Delaware River, from New Jerseys shores or in its waters on a boat.
- New York: On the Delaware River, from New Jerseys shores or in its waters on a boat .
- Ohio: Along the Pymatuning River, when fishing from a boat.
Pennsylvania currently has no other agreements concerning fishing licenses with other states. If you are fishing some of the other border areas, make sure to have a valid fishing license for both states, or make sure you dont stray into out-of-state waters.
What Permits Or Licenses Do You Need To Fish In New York State
Before anyone can fish in any saltwater and freshwater areas in the state of New York, they have to own at least one of the following licenses or permits:
New York State Fishing License – Required of all anglers who will fish or take fish from any freshwater locations in the state of New York. There are four types of these licenses, and they are used to take freshwater fish by angling, spearing, hooking, longbow, nets, traps, and tip-ups take frogs by spearing, catching with the hands or by use of a club or hook and take baitfish for personal use, all as permitted by law. These privileges include:
- The holder of a license, tag, or stamp shall have such license, tag, stamp, or other valid proof on his/her person while exercising any privilege of that license.
- The holder of a license, tag, or stamp shall exhibit it on-demand to any police officer, peace officer, or the owner, lessee, or another person in control of the lands or waters on which the license holder is present.
- No license or stamp authorizes the holder to trespass upon private lands or waters or interferes with property belonging to another person.
- A freshwater fishing license does not allow for the taking of migratory marine fish.
National Marine Fishing Service Permit – Required for all boat owners wanting to catch Tuna and Sharks.
Recommended Reading: Thrush Poetry Submissions
How Much Does It Cost To Get A New York New York Hunting/fishing License
The cost of a New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License is unique for the specific needs of each business. The cost of a New York, New York Hunting/Fishing License depends on a company’s industry, geographic service regions and possibly other factors.
At LicenseSuite, we offer affordable New York, New York hunting/fishing license compliance solutions that include a comprehensive overview of your licensing requirements. This empowers you to discover accurate costs for your New York, New York hunting/fishing license.
For our hunting/fishing license compliance solutions, enter your city, state and industry at LicenseSuite and click ‘Get Your Licenses.’
Over 70000 Miles Of Streams And Rivers
If youre not lured to try fishing in Central Park, worry not New York has over 70,000 miles of streams and rivers as well as more than 7,500 lakes!
Clearly, theres really no need for you to go to another state just to turn your wildest angling dream into reality.
But before you spring into action, theres one more thing that you should do: purchase a fishing license!
The good news is that you will only need to get a fishing license for freshwater fishing.
Needless to say, theres no need to get your hands on a fishing license if you are planning on saltwater fishing in New York!
Don’t Miss: Average Hotel Price New York
Make Yours A Nys Adventure License
The Department of Motor Vehicles has teamed with DEC and NYS Parks to offer a convenient service for purchasers of DEC-issued Lifetime Sporting Licenses and Parks-issued Lifetime Empire Passport and Boater Safety Certificates. Your NYS DMV-issued photo document can now show evidence that you possess a new NYS Adventure License.
How to take advantage of this easy new service
- New lifetime sporting license purchasers: opt to have icons added to your NYS Driver license. You may choose to get your new DMV ID immediately, for a fee of $12.50, or wait for your next license renewal at no charge.
- Existing lifetime license holders: login to the Online Sporting License Sales System, and request a new driver license or non-driver ID with your lifetime sporting credentials.
Why not extend your NYS Adventure? Consider buying a Lifetime Empire State Passport that lets you visit more than 170 beautiful NYS parks for the rest of your life. See the NYS Parks website for more details about this and boating safety certificates.
Who Needs A Pennsylvania Fishing License
Every angler over the age of 16 needs a license to fish in the state. This applies to residents and non-residents alike, even when fishing with a guide or charter. On top of a regular license, youll need an additional permit to fish on Lake Erie, or to take home Salmon or Trout.
This doesnt apply to PA Residents on leave from active military duty outside the state. Instead, they should carry proof of residency and status in the armed forces .
Fish For Free Days are the only other exception. On the final Sunday in May and on July 4 every year, anglers from all over can fish without any license or permit.
Read Also: What Is Kate Spade New York
Getting Back On The Water
The COVID-19 pandemic initially kept some trout anglers home.
People who normally had no problem dealing with opening day crowds on Catharine Creek and other popular Twin Tiers trout streams didn’t want to risk exposure to the virus.
Among them was Eunice Baker, of Elmira, who greatly curtailed her fishing activity last year.
“I only went fishing two times last year because of the pandemic. I didn’t want to catch it,” said Baker, 44. “I will see about getting out more this year. I go to Eldridge Lake when I can. I didn’t even get a chance to go trout fishing . I would like to get out again with a friend of mine.”
If the pandemic initially dampened enthusiasm about fishing, it didn’t take long for that trend to reverse itself.
The bump in interest that started last year isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.
“People are wanting to do things that will get them out in the open,” said Bill Holmes, president of the Broome County Federation of Sportsmen. “Walmart is having trouble keeping rods and reels. They’re getting shipments in, and they’re gone in no time. People are buying a lot of equipment. The more we can encourage kids and others to get out there, the better off we will be.”
New York State Fishing License
Editor’s Note: As we work to flatten the curve through social distancing anglers, hunters, and trappers should purchase their sporting licenses online. They can be purchased at any time and you may use your privileges immediately by carrying your transaction number with you. Anglers, hunters, and trappers can also utilize the HuntFishNY mobile app to display an electronic copy of the license. Back tags and carcass tags must still be mailed, and customers should allow 10 to 14 days for receipt of tags.
Anyone fishing in New York State is required to obtain a fishing license before going fishing.
Fishing licenses can be purchased for the entire year, a week, or just a day. Licenses are available to New York State residents as well as out of state residents. Upon purchase of a fishing license, you will be given a booklet entitled “New York Freshwater Fishing Regulations”. You are responsible for knowing the regulations in this booklet before you go fishing.
- Anyone fishing on licensed fishing preserves.
- Citizens that are occupying and cultivating farmland, when fishing on their own land.
- Anyone holding farm fish pond licenses and members of their immediate families, when fishing waters that are covered by license.
- 1-Day Fishing License: $10.00
You May Like: Can I Register A Car Online In New York
Who Needs To Register
You need to register if you are 16 and older and are:
- Fishing for saltwater fish species in the marine and coastal district
- Fishing for migratory fish of the sea within tidal waters of the Hudson River and its tributaries, or waters of Delaware River or Mohawk River.
You do not need to register if you are:
- Fishing aboard an appropriately licensed party or charter boat in the marine and coastal district.
- A New York State licensed party/charter boat owner.
- A Connecticut or Rhode Island resident and have a valid marine fishing license from your resident state.
- Fishing for lobsters, crabs, clams, mussels, scallops, or oysters. Review license/permit requirements for these activities below.
Lake Erie And Trout/salmon Permits
Unless you have a 1-Day License, youll need an extra permit to fish in Lake Erie or to keep Salmon and Trout. You can get these individually for $9.90, or as a combo package covering both Lake Erie and Trout/Salmon for $15.90.
Resident seniors with a Lifetime License get a few more options for these Permits. They last anywhere from 110 years and cost as follows:
Read Also: How To Change Your Name In New York State
Ideas For Free Fishing Days
- Try fishing for the first time.
- Haven’t fished in a while? Remember the joy of catching a fish again for free!
- Become an ambassador to the sport take a friend fishing for the first time.
- Invite a friend to New York to fish.
- Take a spouse or significant other fishing.
- Take the family fishing…and don’t forget the grandparents!
Where Can You Buy A Hunting License
- Hunting licenses can generally be purchased at any retail outlet that deals in hunting and fishing equipment, such as sporting goods stores. Click on the state below for more information regarding state licenses and hunting regulations. If you’re hunting on a national wildlife refuge, some also require their own permits and/or user fees.
Read Also: Celebrity Wax Museum Nyc
The 60 Most Popular Ny Specialty License Plates And Who Can Get Them
If you’re like the vast majority of New Yorkers, you probably have a standard gold and dark blue state license plate. But New York offers a huge selection of specialty plates for everyone from die hard Buffalo Bills fans to Vietnam War Veterans.
The special plates require a specific application, a fee, and some require additional proofs of identity, such as a medical license or military discharge paperwork. Many also support causes, from protecting the environment to finding a cure for childhood cancer.
We used the latest data from the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles to determine the 60 most popular specialty license plates you’re likely to see on the road, based on how many were issued in 2017. You can also see what the requirements are to obtain each specialty plate, and what causes it supports. Click the name of each plate for more information on how to obtain it.
- $25 of the annual fee supports the Agriculture in the Classroom Fund.
- Available for Ontario County residents.
- Available for Bronx County Residents
- $25 of the annual fee supports the NYS Council on the Arts.
- $25 of the annual fee supports the Conservation, Education, and Research Fund of the Marine and Coastal District of NY.
- $25 of the annual fee supports programs to reduce alcoholism and substance abuse among NY’s youth through prevention and/or treatment.
Total issued: 46
- Copy of current membership card
- Available for Queens County residents
Total issued: 64
New York State Hunting License
Anyone wishing to hunt small game, big game, waterfowl or migratory birds in New York State is required to obtain a hunting license before doing so.
If you have never posessed a hunting license, you are required to attend a Sportsman Education Course. The course requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction. As of 2016, completion of a homework assignment is required prior to attending a Sportsman Education Course. Sportsman Education Certificates from other states and countries will be honored by NYSDEC.
Anyone interested in bowhunting for deer or bear in NYS are required to take an additional bowhunter education course.
Minors under the age of 12 may not obtain a hunting license or hunt wildlife.
NYS Hunting Licenses are valid from September 1 until August 31. To hunt prior to September 1, the previous year’s license is required.
Your hunting tag must be visibly displayed in the middle of your back while hunting.
Read Also: How To Pay A Ticket Online New York