Schedule And Complete The Road Test
You are not allowed to schedule an appointment for a date that is less than 14 days of being issued a Commercial Learners Permit . You can use the Road Test Scheduling System here.
If you dont pass the road test, you will be required to pay a $40 fee before you will be allowed to schedule another road test. This retesting fee can be paid online with a credit card at in person at an NY DMV branch.
CDL restrictions defined below by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration can affect CLP holders when taking a Skills Test in a vehicle without full airbrakes and/or a manual transmission.
- E No Manual Transmission Equipped Commercial Motor Vehicle
- L No Airbrake Equipped CMV
- Z No Full Airbrake Equipped CMV restrictions
If the vehicle you are using for your skills test has:
- An automatic transmission, and this is your first road test in a commercial motor vehicle , you will be given an E restriction.
- No form of airbrakes, and this is your first road test in a CMV, you will be given an L restriction.
- Air over hydraulic brakes, and this is your first road test in a CMV, you will be given a Z.
- If you have a CDL with an L restriction and you test in a vehicle with air over hydraulic brakes, you will be upgraded from an L to a Z restriction.
New York State Dmv Began Issuing Real Id Licenses Permits And Id Cards On October 30 2017
You can get a REAL ID at any time, but you will need to go to a DMV Office. You cannot get a REAL ID online, by phone, or through mail.
You MUST bring to the office the following original or certified proof documents:
The application process also requires the DMV to take a new photo.
Complete this guide to find out exactly what proof documents are needed before going to an office.
Is Obtaining A Real Id Mandatory In New York
No. Obtaining a REAL ID is not mandatory in the state of New York, but it is recommended. Obtaining an NY REAL ID is not required for the following:
- Being licensed to drive
- Voting or registering to vote
- Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
- Applying for or receiving federal benefits
- Accessing health or lifesaving services
- Participating in law enforcement procedures or investigations
If you choose not to obtain a NY REAL ID or a NY enhanced ID, be advised that any NY license, permit or ID card that is issued after October 30, 2017, will be marked not for federal purposes. If you have a U.S. passport, you can use it for identification when you are boarding a plane for domestic and international flights, and entry into a federal building or military base.
How Much Is It To Get A New Id For Federal Identification Purposes
REAL ID-compliant New York identity card fees range between $0 and $13. For example, the costs of purchasing or renewing REAL-compliant credentials include the following:
- There is no fee to purchase an eight-year REAL-compliant card if applicants are 62 years of age or older, and receive SSI benefits
- The cost of purchasing an eight-year REAL-compliant credential is $6 if applicants are older than 62 years of age
- The cost of purchasing an eight-year REAL-compliant card is $6 if applicants are younger than 62 years of age, but collect SSI benefits
- The cost of purchasing a REAL four-year government issued ID is $9 if customers are younger than 62 years of age, but their next birthdays are less than six months away
- The cost of purchasing an eight-year credential is $13 if customers are younger than 62 years of age, and their next birthdays are more than six months away
Obtaining A Social Security Number Or Nys Id
Social Security Card
The Social Security Administration has a policy that social security numbers are issued to F-1 international students for the purposes of employment only. Therefore students must show employment authorization when applying for a social security number. Students can obtain work authorization for On-Campus Employment, Curricular Practical Training , and Optional Practical Training .
Students who obtain employment on-campus must receive a social security letter from a Designated School Official and a dated letter on department letterhead indicating the student’s name, nature of job, start date, number of hours per week, employer contact information indicating the name of the student’s immediate supervisor with original signature, title and phone number, as well as the Employer Identification Number .
Students should remember to take:
a letter from the DSO to the Social Security Administration & on-campus employment offer letter, or a SEVIS I-20 with CPT authorization, or an Employment Authorization Document issued for OPT, and Original immigration documents
Please note that F-1 students who have been offered on-campus employment must wait at least 15 days after entering the U.S. to submit a social security card application. The SSA office may take between 2 to 4 weeks to process the social security application and to send an official social security card to students.
Below are the Social Security Card Centers in NYC:
You May Like: How To Become A New York Life Insurance Agent
What Is The Purpose Of The Gdl Program
Graduated Driver Licensing systems help new drivers gain skills under lower-risk conditions. As drivers move through the three stages of GDL, they are given more driving privileges. These privileges might include driving at night or with passengers. GDL systems are proven to reduce teen crashes and deaths.
New York Driver License
You can drive in New York State with a valid driver license from another state or country. You dont need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a resident of New York state.
If you have a driver license from another country you do not need an International Driving Permit, but the permit verifies in several languages that you have a valid driver license. This is helpful to police officers who cant read the language on your foreign driver license. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit.
If you become a New York State resident, you must get a New York State driver license within 30 days. If you have a valid driver license issued by another U.S. state or territory, federal district or Canadian province, you may be eligible to exchange it for a New York driver license .
If your license was issued outside the U.S. or Canada, you must apply for a new original NYS driver license at a DMV office. Note that G4 Visa holders must apply for their NY drivers license at the Midtown DMV office . Other offices will not be able to process them. Also note that spouses must have their UN-employed partner’s work-issued hang tag when they go to apply. A photocopy is acceptable. for more information.
Some tips for acquiring a Drivers License:
You May Like: A Must See In New York City
Applying For A Motorcycle License In New York
If youre a new resident of New York and you already have a motorcycle license or endorsement from a different U.S. state, you may be eligible to transfer it with the NY DMV. To be eligible for a transfer, your motorcycle license must show your photo and the date of issue, which must be at least 6 months before your application date. Your motorcycle license must also:
- Be valid or expired within the last 24 months and not:
- Revoked or suspended
- A hardship or employment only drivers license
- Indicated as non-renewable or non-transferable
If you are eligible, you will follow the same process as transferring your standard NY drivers license.
S To Get A Tax Id Number
1. Decide if you really need an Employer Identification Number.
- Any business that withholds taxes on employees payroll needs an EIN to ensure that payments to the IRS are properly credited.
- New businesses need an EIN to pay taxes or open business accounts or lines of credit with vendors.
- Corporations and business partnerships must get an EIN per IRS regulations.
- Estates, trusts, and nonprofit organizations also need an EIN.
- Sole proprietorships dont have to get an EIN, but they can if they prefer to do business that way instead of using the owners Social Security number. That helps keep personal and business matters separate.
2. Once you know you need an EIN, you can apply for one with the Internal Revenue Service in one of four ways: online, by fax, in the mail, or by phone . The application form is Form SS-4 if youre looking for it on the IRS website.
4. You also need to state why you are applying at this time. This could be a new business, or maybe youve been operating under your personal Social Security Number and want to set up an EIN to move away from that. Your request might also be related to hiring new employees or setting up a pension plan. Finally, you need to fill in what field youre in and what products or services you offer and give your name and SSN to complete the form.
Recommended Reading: How To Get A Legal Separation In New York State
How And Where To Check An Ein
There are several ways to find an EIN:
Voting Requirements With A Nys Id Card
When you apply for a New York State ID card, you can also register to vote and use your new photo ID to vote in NYS elections.
To register to vote in New York, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be 18 years old at the time of election to vote.
- Have lived at your current NY address at least 30 days before Election Day.
- Not be in prison or on parole for a felony.
- Not be found mentally incompetent by a court.
- Not be registered to vote in another state.
For more information about voting in New York, visit our page on Voter Registration in New York.
Also Check: Hotels In The Bronx With Parking
How To Get A Real Id
The DMV requires an office visit to get a Real ID because you’ll need to bring additional proof of identification and have a new photograph taken.
Reservations are required at state DMV offices located in the New York City area, Long Island, the lower Hudson Valley, Albany and Syracuse.
You can check what services are being offered at your local DMV office and make a reservation here: dmv.ny.gov/offices.
The state also has an online document guide to help determine what documents to bring to the DMV office. One key reminder, the state says: Make sure to provide documentation if your name has changed.
For more information about REAL ID and Enhanced Driver Licenses, visit dmv.ny.gov/REALID.
Joseph Spector is the Government and Politics Editor for the USA TODAY Network’s Atlantic Group, overseeing coverage in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware. He can be reached at JSPECTOR@Gannett.com or followed on Twitter: @GannettAlbany
Support local journalism
We cover the stories from the New York State Capitol and across New York that matter most to you and your family. Please consider supporting our efforts with a subscription to the New York publication nearest you.
The State Says Upgrade Soon
New Yorkers have until May 3, 2023 to get their IDs up to par, but the state is suggesting that people take care of it soon. In June 2018, the DMV launched a campaign to boost public awareness of the new ID requirements, and in summer 2018 it held a statewide promotional tour and social media initiative.
Real ID is available at all DMV offices statewide and we encourage you to get your new license or non-driver ID today, especially if you are renewing or applying for the first time, DMV Executive Deputy Commissioner Terri Egan said in a statement in June. Getting a new Real ID requires an office visit, and we expect lines to grow as the deadline approaches. Dont delay get your Real ID today!
For more information on the different types of New York IDs, visit dmv.ny.gov/which-id-right-me.
Also Check: What Is A New York Times Best Seller
Who Can Get A Non
A person with lawful status in the US of any age can get a non-driver ID card. You must apply at a DMV office. 1 We will give you a temporary non-photo document at the DMV office. Due to a greater than normal volume of renewals, there may be a delay in receipt of your permanent document. Your temporary document is valid for 60 days.
You can find a complete list of the documents that the DMV accepts at How to Apply for a New York License Permit/Driver License/Non-Driver ID Card ID-44
Complete this guide to make sure you have the proofs of identification you need before coming.
Fees for Standard Non-Driver ID Cards
|Standard Non-Driver ID Card
|Under age 62, your next birthday is within the next 6 months
|Under age 62, your next birthday is more than 6 months away
|Under age 62, your next birthday is within the next 6 months
|Under age 62, your next birthday is more than 6 months away
|Under age 62 and receive SSI
|Age 62 or older and receive SSI
|Any age and receive temporary assistance
Fees for REAL ID Non-Driver ID CardsFees for Enhanced Non-Driver ID Cards
Reduced fee or ‘No Fee’ non-driver IDs
To get a reduced fee or ‘No Fee’ non-driver ID, you must you must apply by mail or at a DMV office .
You may be eligible for a reduced fee or no fee non-driver ID if you are 62 or older and you receive supplemental security income, or if you are any age and receive public assistance.
Children Younger Than 16 Years Of Age
To obtain a New York child ID card for a resident who is younger than 16 years of age, a parent or legal guardian may apply on behalf of the minor. To do so, the parent or guardian must visit a local DMV office to provide the following:
- A Statement of Identity and/or Residence by Parent/Guardian
- Proof of the childs date of birth
- Evidence of the childs SSN
Don’t Miss: What Are The Best Places To Visit In New York
How To Replace A Non
You can replace your non-driver ID if it was lost or destroyed, or after you update your address. You cannot replace your ID if it expired .
Are you REAL ID ready?If your New York State license or ID does not have a star or a flag on it, then you do not have a REAL ID compliant document.
Starting May 2023, you must have a REAL ID compliant document to fly. You will not be allowed to board a plane using your regular license or ID. Learn more about REAL ID or Enhanced Licenses, Permits and IDs.
What Types Of Ids Are There In Ny
There are currently three types of driver’s licenses, permits or non-driver IDs that New Yorkers can choose from.
First, standard IDs can be used for identification purposes and used to board domestic flights, but only until May 3, 2023. After that, an enhanced or Real ID will be necessary to get on a plane, unless you have a passport.
Meanwhile, Enhanced and Real IDs can be used to board domestic flights, enter a federal building or military base and for photo identification.
But there’s another point: Real or Enhanced IDs are not mandatory, and they are not necessary to be licensed to drive or vote.
How to know the difference?
The licenses look similar, but the Enhanced ID has a person’s full legal name, address and an American flag on the bottom right corner of the license. They also say “enhanced” at the top.
The Real ID has a star in the top right corner instead of an American flag.
The Dmv Id Price Of Purchasing Or Renewing An Enhanced Card
New York DMV ID prices for enhanced credentials range between $30 and $43, in addition to the cost of purchasing a standard, non-driver credential. For instance, several common fees include the following:
- The cost of purchasing an eight-year enhanced credential is $30 if applicants are 62 years of age or older, and receive SSI benefits
- The cost of purchasing an eight-year enhanced credential is $36 if applicants are older than 62 years of age
- The cost of getting an enhanced state ID card with an eight-year validation period is $36 if customers are younger than 62 years of age, but collect SSI benefits
- The cost of obtaining a four-year credential is $39 if applicants are younger than 62 years of age, but their next birthdays are less than six months away
- The cost of purchasing an eight-year credential is $43 if customers are younger than 62 years of age, and their next birthdays are more than six months away